Monday, January 16, 2006

1 down, 11 to go.

Forgive the late write-up, I've been bogged down with work like you wouldn't believe. In addition to that my internet connection is as reliable as a governmental clerk with ADD these days.

The show on the 5th of January was jam packed. I was nervous before the show as always, worried that people might not show up and having nightmares that all the fully bookes seats were nothing more than an elaborate prank. Thankfully, all was put to rest once people started filling in the front bar. The buzz of anticipation right before the show was so thick you could almost taste it in the air. A bit dramatic I know but a fitting description of what a performer gets to tap into right before a show. Call it nerves, call it excitement, call it whatever.

I was given the pleasure of sessioning for Aminah that night, and taking into consideration the fact that we only practised her set after the soundcheck I have to say I had heaps of fun on stage. Songwriters like Aminah baffle me to be honest. Her songs are so simple yet I can't seem to get 'em outta my mind somtime. I was like "Damn this song has only THREE chords???". Backed up by a smaller set up (me on guitar and Salim on percussion) compared to the last time she played at Moonshine (she was backed by a 5 piece band), her set was stripped down, laidback, and easy-going, a nice start to the show. My fav tune to play was "Caravan Trails", the last song on her set list.

I played next, and to tell you the truth, I just wanted to play for the first Moonshine of the year =). My set was relatively slow that night, something I did on purpose in an effort to break away from my usual stuff.

After the break the duo of the night, Plush Velvet took the stage. Light and easy like the pop duo breeze that they are, Jeremy's jazz influenced guitar lines and Izzy's sweet sombre vocals pulled the crowd back into place. I'm glad to see them gigging more and I can see that they're getting more comfortable with themselves on stage.

Az, fresh off the Boston boat, steered the show into a land of finger-picking heaven and animated stage moves. You've been praticing you're dance moves dude. I think the theme for Az this year is 'mobile'. He's fun to watch really. Sneaky too. He'll disarm you with his trademark goofiness, smiles, and odd sounds, then outta nowhere he'll hit you with some complex melodic progression. I looked back at the crowd and alot of them were too stunned to say anything. A very popular reaction if you're watching Az for the first time.

Shelley was the last act to go up that night. On keys and backed by a full band, once again I was impressed by her songwriting and arranging ability. Going to Boston has definitely influenced the way she leads a band as parts now are tighter and fit better, a vital point of focus for any band. She's real lucky la that girl =). To have a full band (Alda on bass, Az on guitar and Stephanie on drums) with her for quite some means that they all know her tunes like the back of her hand.

All in all a good show, lots of faces I didn't recognise (a very good thing), good music and full seats.

To view all official Moonshine pics (taken by the very talented Harun Wahab), click here.

Thanx to Eugene for doing a write-up at alldatjazz.com


4 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice writeup dude!

Thanks for having me on the show. It was a great pleasure and it's uber-cool to play in the slick new No Black Tie. Awesome.

Take care man!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger bob said...

no worries man. saw ur dad in the paper today. front page!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work Mr Reza. Sorry I've been a bit marginal in all this. Promise to get back into the swing of things in a couple of months, or when the new record is finished. Meanwhile, keep on keeping on dude.

Pete Teo

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger bob said...

thanx n no worries pete =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home