Sunday, December 18, 2005

Okay so this may be abit overdue.

I was a tad worried about how the 2nd Moonshine was gonna turn out. You see singer-songwriters' are notoriously easy to handle due to their solo nature. Acoustic bands on the other hand, well, let's just say the more instruments on stage, the bigger the soundguy's headache =). Soundcheck stretched for far too long that it should've, what with traffic jams, forgetful organisers (sorry Isaac=)), and tired soundguys but thankfully everything went hiccup free.

Before I go into details, I'd first like to thank a few people, namely Irman for designing the first Moonshine poster (scroll all the way down), Gavin for designing the second one (see below), Rav and Ishak for manning the door for the 1st and 2nd show respectively, my uncle Harun for taking the pics you see below and for setting up the Moonshine Multiply site, Evelyn for letting me put the show together in the first place, and to all those who came/signed the mailing list/told people about it. Couldn't have pulled this off without you guys.

Now on to the show.

Isaac kicked it off and pretty much held the crowd with his usual stage magic. Honest and absolutely comfortable on stage, he set a good example for solo singer-songwriter stagecraft. His simple, heartfelt lyrics, infectious guitar licks and very cheeky attitude won him the crowd that night. It's a shame he's going back to Sydney. He just might come back soon so keep your fingers crossed. Isaac, I know you're reading this. Thanx again for giving us the time bro. Come back soon.

Melina and Jimmy of Tempered Mental played a toned down version of their usual prog rock assault, and despite Melina's vocals being slightly overtaken by Jimmy brushwork (where were my damn levels mr soundman?), they still managed to effortlessly display their level of tightness as a band. One thing I always liked about Tempered Mental arrangements were that they were all over the place. Distinctive, complex parts all sown together by what must be hours of practise and an obvious understanding between members of the band. Couple that with hooks that stick in your head (I don't really mind Melina's sweet voice in my head =)) for days and you have one heckuva band.

Kohl went up next and did 5 songs minus their percussionist, who couldn't make it. I talked to Sara earlier and she was really nervous, an odd occurence considering her no fear happy-go-lucky attitude on stage. Well, only those accustomed to seeing her live would've noticed a slight twinge of nervousness in between each song, and even that didn't stop her from belting it out on stage with fellow band members Fahmi and Sadat. It was nice to see Sara really throwing her voice (for the last song), something I rarely hear her do. Fahmi was momentarily hampered by a broken string during the 2nd last song but like the cool cat he is he carried on. A bit more of a serious set from these guys that night, hopefully they're recent re-emergence in gigs means that we'll be seeing more of them soon.

I was really looking forward to Kluk Kluk Adventure's set that night ever since the last time I saw them play. That was for the Zouk Tsunami Charity event and among the 15 or so bands that played that day, these guys stood out like a gem. I didn't know them personally so after a few calls and emails I managed to get a hold of Ajeep, the keyboard player. They were game to play and I was a happy camper. Ah the music. They sang mostly Malay songs (the one English tune that they have is such a keeper) and you could tell that they were a seasoned bunch. Keeta was confident and unafraid, and her vocal delivery had a slight tinge of Gwen in it (I hate comparisons with foreign artists, but hey I can't help myself). They were chilled, laidback, and soulful, and their arrangements were largely punctuated by Ajeep's keyboard melodies. I swear Keeta could melt ice with that voice. Lovely stuff.

The next act I must admit provided me with the most fun that night. It probably had alot to do with me being part of the act =). Aminah, a very lovely and talented individual who is back on holiday from Ireland (she's been there for the past 2 years) invited me to play percussion for her alongside Salim her brother (who I work with, hence the connection), and a number of extremely talented musicians. I couldn't say no =). Aminah, backed by a 5 piece (2 on percussion, a drummer, a bassist, a guitarist) held the stage the most that night, commanding the audience like the natural performer she is. Seasoned and very much in her element, she also probably had the most fun. You could see it in her face, in her smile, and in the way she moved and grooved. Playing songs from her album (she slipped in Pink Floyd cover in the middle of her set), her set was the most energetic of the night.

The Open Mic was a quiet one, with Rizal Hefni singing a few of his grunge-esque ballads, followed by myself and lastly Isaac again as the closer.

I was slighty pissed off after that coz someone stole the mailing list. Can you believe it? No matter, everything else went alright and that's all that mattered.

Lainie, online blog-ess reviewed the show. Click here to read it.































For more pics of the show, go to the Moonshine Multiply site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home